Gameloft has officially announced today that it is bringing Modern Combat 5: Blackout to the Nintendo Switch in the coming weeks, and that it’ll cost $19.99.
The game was actually kind of announced during last year’s E3, but since then there hasn’t been a thing said about it. Today changes that as Gameloft has put out a press release with a lot of new information.
Modern Combat: 5 Blackout will feature a single player campaign as well as an online multiplayer suite where players can play against each other in a variety of game modes. This isn’t new information if you’ve played the game on your smartphone and since the game has been out for a few years on mobile, it’s likely you’ve at least seen snippets of the game on your phone’s app store.
“The Modern Combat franchise is the benchmark for FPS games on mobile since the first installment was released in 2009,” says Carlos Zarate Game Manager for Modern Combat Blackout at Gameloft. “We’re thrilled to bring our successful Modern Combat franchise to Nintendo Switch players and have them discover a robust single and multiplayer experience.”
There’s no release date as of yet for Modern Combat 5: Blackout, but the press release states that it’s going to release “in the coming weeks”, whatever that means.
Personally, I’m down for this. There aren’t many first-person shooters on the Switch and if this one has been done right then it could fill in for Activision’s missing-in-action Call of Duty. Down below are a few extra details takes from the press release.
- CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE CLASS: Find the playstyle that suits you among nine customizable classes that players can level up across single and multiplayer, including Assault, Heavy, Recon, Sniper, Support, Bounty Hunter, Sapper, X1-Morph or Kommander.
- HIGH-POWERED MULTIPLAYER: Deploy for epic clashes in Team Battle and Free-For-All matches online.
- INTENSE SOLO CAMPAIGN: Play the challenging Spec-Ops missions for a real adrenaline rush. Fast-paced story missions with various challenges will take players from Tokyo to Venice.
- UNIFIED PROGRESSION: Character progress in any mode carries over to the others, so play solo or multiplayer and watch abilities expand.
- PERSONALIZED CONTROLS: Intuitive, highly customizable controls allow players to battle just the way they want for a true console experience.
Source: Gameloft Press Release