Taking inspiration from classics like Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, and Azure Dreams, Ova Magica is an RPG centered around farming and monster taming looking to hit Nintendo Switch, PC, PS4/5, and Xbox One/Series X.
After moving to the sleepy town of Clover, the player is entrusted with revitalizing an overgrown piece of land into the farm of their dreams, whilst also taking care of these cute, mysterious creatures known as “blobs”. Each blob has special skills that can assist everything including farming or protection when you’re finding crafting materials.
As well as the blobs you are accompanied by “quirky individuals” in Clover Town from all walks of life with their own unique routines and interests. The Kickstarter for the game is running from 7 am PST/10 am EST/3 pm GMT today until the 25th February. Backers to the project will receive a limited physical edition for the Nintendo Switch which comes with a premium certificate to certify them as an original owner and backer of the game, amongst an array of additional physical and digital rewards.
The game boasts the following features (Per ClaudiaTheDev):
- Blob Breeding & Training: Ova Magica adds a twist to the farm-sim genre by combining it with a comfy creature-raising sim! These cute blob creatures come in over 80 types and can be cross-bred together to create an almost infinite combination of new blobs. Love them well, and pay attention to their favorite foods and habits to ensure they grow strong.
- Farming: Build, run, and expand the farm of your dreams. Farming is normally hard work but it doesn’t have to be in Ova Magica; treat your blobs well, and with their help, you can grow everything from normal crops, to heart fruit, and mushrooms from other dimensions!
- City Building & Progression: You can lend a hand to Clover’s community by sharing in the success of your farm! Helping others is important, and you can pitch in to help put up new buildings, take part in community initiatives, and unlock new things to do throughout the town.
- Romance: Over a dozen unique NPCs with their own special routines, personalities, interests, and storylines inhabit Clover Town. The player can choose to play as either a guy or girl and is free to pursue any character, including same-sex relationships equally. From the sensitive line cook who dreams of opening his own restaurant, to the tough punk builder who’s looking to make her architectural masterpiece – who will you meet in Clover Town?
- Blob Battling: With your party of strongest blobs, engage in Active Time Battle combat with either other blob trainers, or the strongest inhabitants of the Blob Worlds you’ll explore throughout the game. Learn new skills, grow your blobs, learn the strengths and weaknesses of each type of blob, and prove yourself as the strongest blob trainer you can be.
- Crafting: Ova Magica’s blobs add a unique twist on crafting; work with their special abilities to find new materials from blob worlds, dug up from ore piles, or grown on your farm! Put together an increasingly powerful and diverse range of tools and farm equipment to grow and make new things. Plus, create furniture to decorate your abode, or clothes to decorate your player character!
- Activities: Variety is the spice of life, and when not farming there’s plenty else to do. Spend your off-time with a huge variety of activities, such as mining, bug catching, a fishing mini-game, and helping the locals with preparing for the seasonal festivals.
Ova Magica is developed by ClaudiaTheDev, a one-woman studio from Germany, and published by Top Hat Studios coming from New York, having previously released fellow Kickstarter titles SteamDolls, Synergia, and The Girl From Arkanya.
Check out the trailer here: